Volunteering is an opportunity, one that is provided for individuals who want to play a bigger part in the cycle of giving and receiving that defines the Amherst Survival Center. Engaging volunteers in our work is also part of our mission.
Volunteers are needed from 9:00 am-3:00 pm on Monday, Tuesday and Friday and on Thursdays from 9:00 am-7:00 pm. Most volunteers help for 2-3 hours/week for 2 months or more (many stay for years!).
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED Spring-Summer 2016:
Join the team of 200+ people that connect our neighbors to food, clothing, health care and community at the Amherst Survival Center each week. We need volunteers starting May 2016-August 2016
Help cook, serve, clean, stock, shop, organize, greet, unload, pick-up, drive….
Most people volunteer for one three hour shift/week for three months.
50% of our volunteers stay for over a year.
If you’re interested in volunteering, please:
- Review our Volunteer Guidelines and what volunteers are needed to do (see below), and you can also see what we currently need in term of volunteer coverage.
- Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Carleen Basler (by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 549-3968 x111) and let her know of your interest. She’ll let you know what volunteer opportunities currently exist and when the next volunteer orientation is scheduled. ALL volunteers need to attend a volunteer orientation.
- Download and complete the ASC Volunteer Application 2015-16 and bring it with you to the Volunteer Orientation or email it to Carleen at email@example.com or you’ll be provided with one at the Orientation.
Click on this: ASC Volunteer Handbook 2015-2016 to download and review our new Volunteer Handbook!
Volunteers are needed to:
- Welcome participants and answer questions
- Assist store donors
- Keep our store neat and organized
- Sort donated clothes
- Rescue, pick up and deliver donated produce and food
- Load and unload food deliveries
- Sort and distribute fresh produce and bread
- Cook, prepare and serve lunches and light suppers
- Clean tables, dishes, and floors
- Stock our Pantry’s shelves
- Shop with Pantry recipients
- Assist us with our recycling
- Organize and plan fundraising events
- Serve on committees
- Organize food drives for our Pantry
- Organize a diaper drive
- Organize a tent drive for the Community Store
- Organize clothing and household drives for the Community Store
- Assist with one-time projects including maintenance help, unloading our food delivery, large fundraisers, and several special projects like our Holiday Gift Program
These services use volunteers:
- Food Recovery Network
- Fresh Food Distribution
- Food Pantry
- Community Meals
- Community Store
- General Maintenance
- Reception/Parking Lot
- Board and Committee Work
- Special Events
Are you ready?
- Check the schedule below and see what orientation date looks good for you.
- Let Carleen know when you can attend (she can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 549-3968 ext 111)
- Join us!
UPCOMING VOLUNTEER ORIENTATIONS
All new volunteers must first attend an orientation.
The orientation is about 45-50 minutes and includes a history of the Amherst Survival Center, a tour, and an in-depth review of the Volunteer Handbook.
If you are ready to join our amazing volunteer team, let us know which orientation time works for you, we will get you scheduled and you are ready to join the ASC Volunteers!
Upcoming Orientation Schedule
Wed., May 4 – 1:00pm
Thurs. May 5 – 9:30am
Tues., May 10 – 9:30am
Wed., May 11 – 1:00pm
Mon., May 16 – 2:30pm
Wed., May 18 – 1:00pm
Wed., May 25 – 1:00pm
Thur., May 26 – 9:30am
LOCATION: The Amherst Survival Center is located at 138 Sunderland Road in North Amherst. For directions to our building, click here.
QUESTIONS? Contact Carleen by email at: email@example.com or by phone 549-3978 ext 111 for more information or to find out about additional volunteer orientation sessions.
We appreciate your interest!