Volunteering is an opportunity for individuals who want to play a bigger part in the cycle of giving and receiving that defines the Amherst Survival Center. Engaging volunteers in our work is also part of our mission.
Volunteers are needed from 9:00 am-3:00 pm on Monday, Tuesday and Friday and on Thursdays from 9:00 am-7:00 pm.
- Most people volunteer for one 3-hour shift each week for three months or more.
- 50% of our volunteers stay for over a year.
Join the team of 200+ people that connect our neighbors to food, clothing, health care and community at the Amherst Survival Center each week.
Help cook, serve, clean, stock, shop, organize, greet, unload, pick-up, drive….
Volunteers at the Amherst Survival Center:
- Welcome participants and answer questions
- Assist store donors
- Keep our store neat and organized
- Sort donated clothes
- Rescue, pick up and deliver donated produce and food
- Load and unload food deliveries
- Sort and distribute fresh produce and bread
- Cook, prepare and serve lunches and light suppers
- Clean tables, dishes, and floors
- Stock our Pantry’s shelves
- Shop with Pantry recipients
- Assist us with our recycling
- Organize and plan fundraising events
- Organize food drives for our Pantry
- Organize a diaper drive
- Organize a tent drive for the Community Store
- Organize clothing and household drives for the Community Store
- Assist with one-time projects including maintenance help, unloading our food delivery, large fundraisers, and several special projects like our Holiday Gift Program
For corporations, community groups, and sports teams: you may be interested in these group volunteer activities. You can also contact our Volunteer Coordinator for more opportunities and suggestions about how to get your organization involved!
If you’re interested in volunteering, please:
- Review our Volunteer Guidelines. Please keep in mind our volunteer opportunities vary.
- Download and complete the ASC Volunteer Application 2016 and bring it with you to the Volunteer Orientation or you’ll be provided with one to complete at the Orientation. ALL volunteers need to attend a new-volunteer orientation. Check the schedule of upcoming volunteer orientations and see what orientation date looks good for you.
- Contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Carleen Basler and let her know of your interest! Carleen can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 549-3968 ext 111.
Click on this: ASC Volunteer Handbook 2015-2016 to download and review our new Volunteer Handbook!
We appreciate your interest!