The Community Store
(formerly known as the Free Store)
~ Jane Holappa, Amherst Survival Center founder
The Community Store’s Schedule (to shop)
Shopping in the Store
Information for shoppers here.
Please note there will be changes for shoppers in the Store in early 2017. Item specific limits will be posted online and in the store, please check these. If you have any questions, please ask the Store Coordinator, Susan Cox.
Donating to the Store
Information for donors to the store (schedule, what the Store will and will not accept) here.
There are times when the store needs to suspend accepting donations. Please feel free to call the Center at 413-549-3968 to confirm that we are receiving donations before coming to our facility.
If you plan to bring more than two bags clothing and other donations to the Community Store, we strongly suggest that you call in advance to ensure that we can accept your donation. Please contact the Store Coordinator at 549-3968 ext. 101.
Community Store Basic Information:
- Our inventory consists of donated goods from people and businesses in the community.
- We accept donations of: gently worn clothes (no damaged clothing please!), shoes, coats, household items (small appliances, linens, towels, plates, flatware, etc.), outdoor living equipment (tents, outdoor stoves, sleeping bags, backpacks).
- Participants (customers or shoppers) can come in every day we’re open. All items are free. We provide the bag and information on limits.
- Please do not leave donations outside the Center when the Center is closed.
- Please when donating clothing and household items to the store, we would greatly appreciate if you could deliver the donations in bags, boxes, or tubs that you do not need returned.Thank you for your understanding!
The Community Store does not accept donations of used furniture. Places to buy or donate used furniture can be found here.
Questions about the Community Store?
e-mail Susan Cox, the Store Coordinator at email@example.com or call 549-3968 x101
Volunteers and The Community Store
Volunteers perform the tasks needed to operate The Community Store, with the support and administration of the Store Coordinator. Click here for information on how to volunteer for these programs.
- Tents and Sleeping Bags: we collect tents and sleeping bags, and outdoor living equipment (stoves, etc) March-April to distribute in April.
- Children’s Corner: The Community Store’s Children’s Corner includes children’s clothes in all sizes, toys and games, and children’s books.
- Prom Attire: we’ve accepted donations in the spring of prom attire and have made it available to high schoolers.
- Winter coats, boots: in all sizes, for women, men, and children
- Socks: the Store can always use new clean socks (all sizes).
- Holiday Gift Program: We gratefully accept donations of NEW children’s books (all ages) and family board games to distribute to families in our Food Pantry during the month of December.