STORE SCHEDULE FOR DONATIONS
When does the Amherst Survival Center accept donations to the Community Store?
Our donation hours are:
- Monday, Tuesday, Friday 10:30am to 2:45pm
- Thursday 10:30am to 6:45pm
- the third Saturday of the month from 9:30am to 11:30am
Please do not leave donations outside the Center when the Center is closed.
Please when donating clothing and household items to the store, we would greatly appreciate if you could deliver the donations in bags, boxes, or tubs that you do not need returned. Thank you for your understanding!
There are times when the store needs to suspend accepting donations. Please feel free to call the Center at 413-549-3968 to confirm that we are receiving donations before coming to our facility.
as of April 1, 2017
Men’s clothing (clean, not stained or torn)
Children’s clothing (not ripped/stained)
Shoes (ALL ages, genders)
New Underwear and socks
Gently used and clean tents and sleeping bags
(we have a wishlist for these items here)
DONATING TO THE STORE
- What we accept/don’t accept in the Community Store?
- What are seasonal clothes?
- Do you have a large donation for the Community Store?
- What to expect when you come to the Amherst Survival Center to make a donation to the Community Store?
- When does the Amherst Survival Center not accept donations to the Community Store?
- Does your Community Store accept furniture?
scroll down for answers….
THE STORE ACCEPTS DONATIONS OF CLOTHING AND NON-CLOTHING ITEMS
WE ACCEPT CLOTHING: gently worn clothes (clean, no mildew or mold, no stains or tears, no repairs needed) in season, including:
- infant, baby and kids clothes
- Shoes – all sizes, all genders
- coats **
- socks – always in demand
- accessories (scarves, gloves)
** What are seasonal clothes?
WINTER CLOTHES: October 1st – April 15 We accept winter clothes (winter coats, winter boots, wool sweaters, etc.)
SUMMER CLOTHES: April 15-October 1st We accept summer clothes (shorts, sandals, beach shoes, beach toys, etc.)
We accept the following year round: bathing suits, jeans, t-shirts, camisoles, work boots, sweatshirts, exceptional quality winter jackets, etc.
WE ACCEPT NON-CLOTHING:
- small household items (small appliances, linens, towels, plates, flatware, etc.)
- outdoor living equipment (tents, outdoor stoves, sleeping bags, backpacks)
- toys and games (all parts included)
- CDs, DVDs, videos, LPs
- specific items on the request log (call the Store Coordinator at 549-3968 x 101 to fill requests)
- linens, towels, clean cloth diapers
WHAT THE STORE DOES NOT ACCEPT:
- clothing that is torn, stained or needs any repairs
- cribs, beds, mattresses
- computers, printers, monitors, and keyboards
- car seats
- electric blankets (unless the controls and wiring are removed)
- teflon coated pans
- large plastic toys (we have very limited floor space)
- out of season holiday items
- weapons of any kind
- big screen televisions, large televisions and/or older televisions (No big screen TVs please, and no TVs that are connected to cable boxes or other technology), large monitors
- Furniture (click here for local and internet-based places to donate or buy used furniture)
- We are not accepting any holiday specific items at this time.
Do you have a large donation for the Store?
If you have multiple bags of donations or an extra large donation, it’s helpful to let us know in advance, so we can make sure we can help unload the donation when you arrive. Please call the store coordinator at 549-3968 ext 101 to let us know. Please when donating clothing and household items to the store, we would greatly appreciate if you could deliver the donations in bags, boxes, or tubs that you do not need returned.
What to expect when you come to the Center to make a donation?
- Our donation door is available for your convenience and can be accessed from our parking lot, to the left of the main entrance of the Center.
- If you need assistance, there may be volunteers who can help. Please ask for help.
- After your donation is reviewed and accepted, the Store will be able to give you a receipt that you can use for tax deduction purposes. The receipt will include the IRS website where you can get information on how to calculate the value of your donation.
- Store representatives will also ask you if you’d like to be added to the Amherst Survival Center mailing list. We hope you will say yes!
When does the Amherst Survival Center not accept donations to the Community Store?
- Outside of donation hours. (Please don’t leave donations or dump unwanted items outside the store or the Center.)
- Out of season clothes: unfortunately, we do not have the storage capacity to keep clothing out of season clean and ready for distribution. Thank you for your understanding.
- Reached capacity: there may be times where we reach our capacity to store and sort clothing donations. At those times, we will temporarily stop accepting donations to the store. We thank you not only for thinking of us for the donation, but for also understanding if we are closed when you arrive.
Would you like to meet a special request? Ask the Store Coordinator about items on the Request Log if you’re interested in meeting a specific need.
Does the Community Store accept furniture?
No, our store does not accept donations of furniture. The Amherst Survival Center’s Trash to Treasure sale, which did collect and sell used furniture, is currently on hiatus. You can donate and buy used furniture at these places in the Valley.