Job Description: Food Pantry Coordinator, Amherst Survival Center
The Amherst Survival Center (ASC) is seeking a culturally competent part-time Food Pantry Coordinator who is committed to social justice principles. The ASC, a non-profit organization based in Western Massachusetts, it is an organization whose mission is to provide convenient access to food, health care, clothing and community to over 5,000 people each year through volunteer efforts. Under the direction of the Program Director, the Food Pantry Coordinator oversees the operations of the Food Pantry, including but not limited to supervision and coordination of Food Pantry volunteers, purchasing and restocking of pantry items, coordination of food delivery and distribution programs, keeping accurate records, monthly statistics and reporting as required.
Applicants should have: Relevant professional or volunteer experience, an ability to work and communicate effectively in a collaborative environment, understanding of food justice issues, warehouse and inventory procedures, as well as experience and competence working in communities of color and with groups of diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, and attention to detail
- Experience and competence working in communities of color and with groups of diverse socioeconomic backgrounds
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin and/or Khmer, and in English is desired
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Applications, and ACCESS database software
- Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to work occasional early mornings and weekends
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license and good driving record is required
- Strong appreciation for ASC’s mission and a strong commitment to ensuring the fair and equitable distribution of goods
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Basic Pantry Operations:
- Keep pantry clean, stocked and well-organized
- Train and provide daily supervision of pantry volunteers, interns and work study students
- Coordinate food delivery and distribution programs (including daily pantry distribution, monthly senior mobile pantry, Thanksgiving boxes, and Kids SUMMER Boost programs)
- Coordinate weekly orders and deliveries from the Food Bank and other sources
- Plan annually and follow ASC’s Pantry budget
- Provide referrals about other community sources of nutrition
Record Keeping and Statistics:
- Do client intakes and maintain up-to-date client records
- Track and collate USDA and other required statistics
- Maintain statistics in computerized database
- Prepare monthly reports for the Food Bank, quarterly reports for CDBG, and other funding reports as required
- Maintain accurate records of donations and purchases
Working with donors:
- Track and acknowledge (write thank you notes to) food donors
- Plan and coordinate community food drives including the Post Office Food Drive
- Support community-based food drives
- Additional responsibilities:
- Attend weekly staff meetings and supervison meetings
- Represent the ASC at some local coalitions, including those organized by the Food Bank
Additional Duties as defined by the Executive Director
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times, including appreciating and supporting those you work with, showing respect to all ASC participants, demonstrating high ethical and moral standards, and acting with honesty and fairness in all of your dealings with others.
- Approach your work with an attitude of continuous improvement. This involves continually examining processes to discover and eliminate problems in order to improve participant satisfaction and to enhance program effectiveness.
Hours: This is a part time (32-37 hours/week) position. Some early morning and
weekend activities should be expected.
Working Conditions: This job requires working some early morning and weekend hours. Must be able to lift up to 70+ pounds. Frequent walking, standing, lifting.
Compensation: Hourly wage commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package.
Application Deadline: August 6, 2014
Application Procedure: Submit resume, cover letter and references (names and contact information) in PDF format to FPCSearch@amherstsurvival.org.
The Amherst Survival Center is an equal opportunity employer.
For a .pdf version of this job description, ASC Food Pantry job description 7.14.