You can follow the Amherst Survival Center on twitter where we post on issues of shared concern and on actions we can take to make a difference.
In December 2015, the White House issued a special report on the effectiveness of SNAP (food stamps). Read more about it here.
There are many ways to participate and advocate.
It starts with education. Here are resources:
- Food Bank of Western Massachusetts Advocacy page
- Feeding America’s Hunger Action Center
- Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap
- Greater Boston Food Bank Advocacy page
- National Priorities Project Budget Basics
It continues with action.
Click here for Congressman McGovern’s End Hunger Now speech in Congress talking about his #FillUpYourPlate project, which was inspired by our Paper Plate Project
Here are links to elected officials who you may want to communicate with to share your opinion on funding for food and nutrition programs, and responding to income inequality.
You may also want to check out the National Priorities Project Take Action page.
U.S. House of Representatives
- We are located in the 2nd Congressional District (Massachusetts), as are many in our community. Our Member of Congress is the Honorble Jim McGovern. You can email Congressman McGovern here.
- If you reside in a different location, you can find out who your Member of Congress is and how to contact them here.
- Our senior Senator is the Honorable Elizabeth Warren. You can email Senator Warren here.
- Our second Senator is the Honorable Ed Markey. You can email Senator Markey here.
- If you or a friend or family member live outside of Massachusetts, you can find your US Senator here.
Massachusetts State Senate
Massachusetts House of Representatives